Grading and rank systems in schools are more damaging than beneficial.
In recent times parents have been steering clear off mainstream schools mostly because of the exams and the stress it brings along.
Thanks to all the awareness and for the alternatives that exist for us to choose from.
Before we start, let’s look at how ranks have originated.
When students applied for college seats, they needed a system to filter students who fit by taking up a common exam.
Over the years, the lines have blurred and now we have the same system within classrooms.
What is the objective of it?
And this happens term after term. For what joy?
Why should we look beyond grades?
1. We are saying success matters more than what they are learning.
2. We start looking at the report cards as an indicator of academic success.
3. The objective shifts from learning the subject to scoring marks.
4. Children start skimming pages and learn just the important questions.
5. When given a choice of assignment subject, children pick easier ones which will fetch them marks.
6. Children will do what is just required for the exam and not beyond that.
7. When not able to achieve the desired grades, children lose interest in learning.
8. They are less likely to enjoy what they are learning.
9. Worse case some may even cheat in exams, because the mark is all that matters.
10. Takes a toll on children’s emotional and mental health.
Understand that schools like this are in minority.
If by chance our kids are in a traditional school, we as parents can take the pressure off them by not focusing on their grades and letting them enjoy their school days.
If you like this post, please check out other posts on this topic here