I am still playing with this blog and certain things could look better. I would appreciate any kind of feedback to improve how this blog looks and works. 🙂
To talk of this post, my toddler and I have been learning shapes for the last few weeks and he has mastered the basic shapes with ease. Achievement 🙂
You could ask me, why one should teach toddler shapes?
• Obviously, that lays foundation for their reading and writing skills. Like ‘o’ is a full circle and ‘c’ is a semi-circle. W,V,X has triangles in it. You get the idea?
• To recognize math numbers. Need I explain?
• Solve all the jigsaw puzzles that they would be solving in the later years
• Drawing gets easier. Literally everything breaks down to shapes and most of the kids learn to draw a sun(a circle with lines) first 🙂
How could you teach shapes?
I have put some easy and fun ways to learn shapes. This printable is attached so that you could download them as well 🙂
1. Ear buds shape: I dipped in paint on either side of the bud to show distinct edges and made shapes for my little one to see.
3. Shape sorter: This was the first toy my little one had used to learn shapes and it pretty much served the purpose. For the first few days, he could only drop in a circle but he graduated brilliantly. I would recommend starting with this for a one year old.
7. Ice cream stick shapes: These were doing the rounds on the internet and I thought I should be making it too:-). It takes less than a minute to do, so try them at home. Will you?
10. Sketched Shapes using Coffee Seeds: You can get this printable below. We used the coffee beans to outline the shape. Helps in fine motor activity as well. We learnt the color brown and fell in love with its aroma.
11. Match shapes in a Hut:My little one couldnt this one. Yet i thought I will share it. You can use the below printable.
If you like this post, please Subscribe this blog and share this post with your friends. Also, leave your comment below. I would love to hear from you 🙂