Beautiful hand writing
I honestly don’t know about that one. Neither do I have a pretty handwriting nor do I strive for one. But each time I post about my son’s writing – I get this question often. How does he write so well? or comments like beautiful handwriting.
Truth be told, I haven’t thought about this. But writing comes easy to us now.
Here’s what helped
1. No pressure on the child – even when he saw his peers much ahead of him.
2. More pre-writing work/hand work– kneading, fine motor skills, threading, squeezing etc., even now at 6 years.
3. Seeing us adults write. He sees me writing my everyday journal or use my planner. Writing is not just child’s work.
4. Not correcting his writing. We have a sample sheet to copy his words, but just that. Erasing a child’s practice, only crushes his/her confidence.
5. I might have used some pre-writing / tracing book in the past. But I am not sure if that helped. It seemed like a chore and we took it off our list.
6. We now use writing prompts every day. He gets to choose what he wants to write – that could be a shopping list, his list of facts, breakfasts to have in the week, write about a book he read or his most favt work- write a mini story book. Writing something every day. Not necessarily focusing on the handwriting.
If you like this post, you might enjoy some posts from here